Monday, August 16, 2010

Summery Bentos and Fireworks Display

Hey there. Are you bentoing!? As for me... aaah a little bit hehe. It's still too muggy where I live. And it couldn't be any more tiring to cook something in a too hot kitchen without A/C. Everyday, I do find myself grabbing a chocolate ice cream cup from the freezer haha. I know that some of you cannot resist COLD BEER on such hot days lol.  Oh well, on a muggy day, a simple bento and a noodle bento are *eater-friendly* right? So I recently made bibimbap (Korean style rice dish) and curry flavored fried udon for bento. Curry flavor is always appetizing even during the hot summer!

Bibimbap Bento

Bibimbap Bento

Curry Yakiudon Bento

The other day, we went to a fireworks display in the bay area. Lots of fireworks events are held everywhere in Japan during summer. Watching spectacular fireworks displays is meaningful to most Japanese. It seems like the symbol of peace, happiness, and midsummer. I feel even Japanese spirit, though I usually don't feel this way. I think people who come watch fireworks enjoy not only fantastic ones but the atmosphere there as well. Of course I was sooo excited, too, like a kid.

DSC_0404

We had some time until the fireworks displays going off, so we had a tea break at my favorite cake shop nearby. Their stuff is to die for. Great! I'll spill now, after this, we went to my fave ramen house and had Ramen, then went to a new gelato house.... I wonder, fireworks make us abnormally hungry!?

At my fave cake shop

Ah I with I could take better shots! I'd better practice...
Click the one, you can check the details!
DSC_0393DSC_0395DSC_0396DSC_0397DSC_0398DSC_0400DSC_0404DSC_0406DSC_0407DSC_0408DSC_0409DSC_0412DSC_0414DSC_0415DSC_0419DSC_0422DSC_0425DSC_0441DSC_0444DSC_0445DSC_0410-1DSC_0439-1DSC_0442-1DSC_0446DSC_0447

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful fresh bento as always, I love the delicate blendings of taste and texture that come through in your photos, Izumi! I have some Japanese curry cubes and I love the idea of using for udon...yep, its a plan, now :D

    Awesome fireworks display, thanks for sharing these dazzling images of "peace, happiness and midsummer"...ahhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bright and fresh bento! Your are so much inspiration to me! <3 I wish I could make bento as beautiful as you *_*

    May I ask what camera you are using for these stunning photos? Love thie pictuers from the firework, too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bento look very light and refreshing! Thanks for sharing the fireworks photos -- they make me wish I was there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bibimbap looks so appetizing *as always :D*. Woooowaaaah, that strawberry cake perfectly makes me drool! Your fireworks shots are cool, thanks for sharing them with us :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum ... yum! Your cooking for bento always awesome. If I live near you then I will always super abnormal hungry hahaha :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you provide a napkin with this post please? I'm drewling all over my keyboard! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jenn
    In America, ya'll can see great fireworks displays on July 4th, right? I love the excitement in the air of fireworks events.

    Curry cubes are pretty handy. I use it for curry *soup* udon, that's my fave. I eat it breaking out in a sweat every time hehe. I'm curious how your curry udon comes out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your fireworks photos are beautiful! But the cake and bentos are more beautiful to me (and my tummy!) Hope you are enjoying the rest of the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Token
    Thanks! I love the style of yours.
    I use Nikon D90. It works well even under low light in the morning. I can't manage yet all the functions tho. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Kuusou
    Thanks! I wish I could watch fireworks with your family somewhere.:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. @tatabonita
    This strawberry cake is always my fave one. It' s so plain that their sense comes out straight. The harmony of strawberry and sponge cake and whipped cream...ummmm it's heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Lia
    HAHA! Then I gotta make *unappetizing bentos* for the future. That might also be so much fun?!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @gnoegnoe
    Don't make me laugh so much lol! Well I better put some Kleenex or napkin on my blog hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Carol
    The summer is almost over here, so sad... It's pouring today. But I will enjoy the rest for sure. Actually, I can't secretly wait the winter ;)

    ReplyDelete